Since I’ve already done enough about great fashion pieces for both men and women with MH Style Tips this year, I thought I’d focus on great gift ideas for anyone that are a little more creative. Buying clothes for someone else can be hard, especially with the fluctuating sizes and wide ranges of styles offered by all the various designers and retailers out there. I, personally, prefer to choose my own clothes… but then again I am more picky than most! Instead, I’ve chosen twelve great gifts that are easy, affordable and unique…
1. Scarves – Quite possibly the easiest gift to give for both men and women. At this time of year, everyone can use a little extra warmth, and this is a great gift to give for practicality and style purposes. For a casual look, try a wool or knit scarf. Or, if you’d like to give something a little more fancy or to someone with an elegant style, go with a pashmina or cashmere scarf (great for all year round). You can get creative with colour and print, but if in doubt I suggest you go with black or neutral colours, as its the most versatile! A great spot to find stylish scarves for men and women is Club Monaco — a brand that combines quality and affordability.
2. Travel gear – this time of year we all think about the things we want to do or accomplish over the next twelve months. For many people, traveling tops their list. If you have someone in your life that has a bit of the travel bug, I suggest gifting them with some stylish travel gear. From passport holders to carry-on bags to luggage, there are plenty of ways to send your loved one off in style!
3. A great gift for someone you’ve got lots of pictures with is a personalized calendar or photo book. This way your memories will last a lifetime and you know your loved one will be thrilled with the personal touch your gift brings. Apple’s iPhoto makes creating personalized gifts easy with its click-and-drag photo books, calendars and cards. A little effort goes a long way…
4. This time of year, everything seems so cold and all everyone wants to feel is bundled up and cozy. A great gift for both the gals and the guys are a pair of comfy slippers. I love the look of the soft moc slippers, because I think they really give off the cozy cottage vibe.
5. When the winter cold seems to be dampening everything in your life, why let it ruin a dressy evening outfit? No one wants to slip into a pair of heels, stylist coat and big ski gloves. By the same token, men don’t want to wrap a trendy scarf and sophisticated coat and big ski gloves. So, for those extra special occasions, give your loved one another option with a pair of leather gloves. There are even cheaper (and comfier) styles that combine leather and wool to give the sophisticated look but also the practicality. H&M is a great spot for this piece!
6. Urban Outfitters is a must on the Christmas shopping destination list, and not just for the trendy fashion pieces they have for both men and women. Buying clothes can often be hard, especially with all the different styles and trends there are to choose from. So why not buy something that your loved one can have to decorate their digs. Whether its something small (like a jewelry stand) for their bedroom at their parents house, or a wall mural for their new apartment, or even something for the kitchen — there is a lot to choose from. The gifts are unique and interesting, not something you could pick up at any other fast fashion retailer. Other great places to find unique decorative pieces for gifts this season include markets and boutique stores.
7. Everyone loves a good bath, beauty or fragrance set. This is one the most common, most loved, and most useful gift. It is a great way to spend your money and easy as can be. Simply head to the store, pick up one of his or her favorites (or one that reminds you of them) on its own or in a gift set. Shoppers Drugmart is a great one stop shop for this holiday gift. Get some unique wrapping and a festive card to complete your present!
8. Literature is always a great gift. Pick up the latest hot title at Chapters or Indigo in a category your loved one is/might be interested in. While you’re there, add some bulk to your gift for cheap with various interesting stocking stuffers. If there’s room left in your budget, why not throw in a gift card so they can come back and pick out their next read! It’s the gift that keeps on giving.
9. Every year I look forward to Christmas Eve when my parents give each of us kids a pair of pajamas. I love heading home on the 24th and and not having to pack PJs. I’m someone that slips into them as soon as I’m done for the day and staying home. I love lounging in them, so I love a nice stylish PJ set. A great and easy gift, head to La Senza for women’s and The Bay for men’s. Check out this awesome Holiday Video from La Senza:
10. Last year my boyfriend’s parents gave me a throw blanket, and I use it almost everyday when I curl up on the couch. It is great for this time of year, affordable and useful! Find out what your loved ones favorite colour is or the colour of their room. There are so many different fabrics, styles and designs to choose from as well, so this gift can also be very personal to someone’s taste. Try The Bay for warm throw blankets to snuggle up with
11. Nowadays everyone seems to have the same gadgets, so in the world of technology, how can we physically (not virtually) express ourselves? With different phone, iPod and computer cases and covers, you can make your gadgets more personal. Personalized headphones are also an easy and unique gift to give, like this pair from BCBGMaxAzria. Other great stores to try include Best Buy, Urban Outfitters and Future Shop.
12. LCBO stores offer great gift sets. Do a little background research on your loved one and know what their likes and dislikes are before heading in. There are plenty of arrangements they make up that make the perfect holiday gift. Not into the booze? Starbucks has great options as well! Grab a gift card and a festive holiday mug!
Happy Shopping and Happy Holidays!